Sunday, December 6, 2009

Profiles In How To Hold A Grudge: Brendan Shanahan

From the Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger:

Brendan Shanahan tells a story [...] about growing up as a Maple Leafs fan and meeting former Toronto captain Rick Vaive during the summer of 1983.

“When I was 14 years old I was skating in the summertime at a rink in Toronto,” Shahanan recalled. “Rick Vaive happened to be skating at an adjoining rink and we were actually in dressing rooms that were right next to each other.


“I went in when he was sort of settled and asked him for an autograph. I didn’t get the best response from Rick Vaive at that time.”


------

“Fast forward four years later and Rick Vaive is waiting for a meaningless faceoff in Buffalo,” Shanahan said. “He’s now playing for the Sabres. He’s lined up next to some 18-year-old kid from New Jersey. When the puck dropped, I attacked Rick Vaive.


“It was a quiet, uneventful game. He couldn’t believe the rage I had, not only in attacking him, but it took two (linesmen) to restrain me afterwards and throw me in the penalty box.”



via Deadspin